Washington Association for Chinese Education (WACE) is a student-run, nonprofit organization dedicated to generating interest in learning Chinese, helping students understand China, and increasing the number of Chinese programs in Washington schools. We are the only organization of our kind in the Pacific Northwest. Founded by a group of enthusiastic high school students in March 2011 from an idea that stemmed out of the Chinese Cultural Club at Skyline High School, WACE now spans across seven schools and five school districts. We have received support from over 500 members of the community through event participation and signatures for our petition to bring Chinese into more Washington schools. Our sponsors include over a dozen community organizations, including the Washington State China Relations Council, Seattle Chinese Garden, Seattle Chongqing Sister-City Association, Confucius Institute of Washington, Chinese Language Teachers Association, and Seattle Youth Venture.
Our mission is to promote awareness of Chinese culture and language in Washington, primarily to:
- Triple the number of Chinese programs (from 22) in school districts across WA between the year 2011 and 2020
- Generate student interest in learning Chinese and learning about China
- Prepare students to enter the modern-day global economy
- Sustain our student-run organization, which offers students a chance to become active leaders, while embracing global responsibility and worldwide language/culture
- give US students since 2005 the competitive edge and global perspective needed to succeed in the modern-day economy, and to increase Chinese language learning capacity in Washington